The Chamber’s Role
The Economic Chamber of Greece was founded in 1980 (Law 1100/80) and according to the institutional framework it holds the role of the scientific advisor for the state and the society.
Holders of a degree in Economics from a highest educational institution (university) are entitled to enroll as members of the Chamber and by institutionalizing the profession of the economist with the Presidential Decree 475/1991:
- Their professional title is recognized;
- The terms of entry in the profession are determined, as long as they use their degree for professional reasons in the public or private sector;
- Transparency is assured, while the profession is being exercised.
The State recognizes the Chamber’s contribution to the economic status of our country, and therefore it assigned the Chamber with the responsibility to organize the profession of the accountant/tax consultant and grant the respective professional IDs according to Law 2515/97 and the Presidential Decree 340/1998 authorized by this law.
Today the Chamber is in the position to contribute essentially, immediately and practically to all the sectors of the National Economy, such as:
- Forming an effective and fair taxation system,
- Developing the procedure in the operation of institutions with economic related business activities,
- Finding and using resources to tackle problems in the National Economy.
The purpose of the Chamber is:
- To provide an opinion on general and more specific economic issues;
- To process and suggest to the relevant state authorities, principles of general economic and special financial accounting, auditing, costing, commercial and other principles;
- To make suggestions on educational issues in the field of economics;
- To provide its members with a special authorization to exercise the profession of the Economist when they use their degree for professional purposes;
- To cooperate with scientific and professional associations in the field of Economic Science and to provide them with assistance in order for them to achieve their goals.
The Economic Chamber of Greece, having an excellent and institutionalized relationship with Economic Universities and professional associations in the Economist field, faces the problems that are derived from the process and application of the economic science.
The Economic Chamber of Greece is managed by the Central Administration, consisting of 15 members, which are:
- the President,
- Vice President A,
- Vice President B,
- the Secretary General,
- the Economic Supervisor and
- 10 consultants.
The Central Administration is elected through secret voting by the Assembly of Delegates. Every 4 years there is a voting procedure, where 200 Representatives of the Chamber are elected from the registered members of the Chamber all over Greece.
For the optimal operation of the Chamber, 16 regional offices with local responsibilities were founded in order to express the Chamber for any issue related to their region and to promote the Chamber’s policy locally. The regional offices are managed by 7-member local administrations, which are elected through voting of their registered members every 4 years.
The Economic profession consists of the following actions as described in the Presidential Decree 475/91:
- Analysis, processing and interpretation of economic phenomena & figures, writing and submission of studies and reports towards businesses, organizations and economic institutions in general.
- Providing consulting services in economic, business, developmental, financial, taxing, cash flow and commercial issues for financial and business institutions of the private or public sector and the Public Administration.
- Providing organizational and managerial services to businesses with economic activities, as well as economic institutions of the public sector.
- Providing organizational, managerial and supervising services for the development, training and signing of financial statements.
- Providing tax consulting services for the organization, operation and management of offices and business.
- Designing of statistics and econometrics methods and studies, processing, analysis and interpretation and general scientific and practical use of statistics that are related to the economy, financial figures, factors of production and the productive and developmental process.
- Managerial auditing, auditing of financial statements, businesses, organizations, institutions and in general associations with economic or business activities in the private or public sector, based on the provisions of the current legislation, as well as the issuance of related and necessary essays and certificates.
- Teaching the theory, principles, methods and findings of the science of Economics and applied economics at educational institutions aside from Universities (highest educational institutions).
Public and social interests are secured from the threats of tax evasion and the black economy by establishing the legal and institutional environment that is necessary to exercise the profession of the Economist.